Saturday, January 4, 2014

#4: Standing

A young woman was killed in Harrisonburg, Virginia, on January 1. According to the brief media account, she was standing in the northbound lane of a VA-42 before she was hit by several vehicles, including an ambulance.

I don't know the whole story, but I've wondered why she was standing in the middle of a major highway. She was an international student, who'd only recently moved to the United States to study English and eventually attend a university. She had crossed an ocean and a continent to be standing where no one should be standing.

When I lived in Harrisonburg, I felt like I was on a treadmill. I was starting nowhere and heading nowhere. In New York, I feel like I am standing and waiting, but I don't know what I am waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment